Sweet Potato Pizza
This family-friendly recipe is great for every night of the week! Plan a “build-your-own pizza” night and see the healthy creations come to life with this fun take on pizza.
Why you will love this recipe
- They are easy to make
- They are gluten-free and can be made vegan and dairy free
- It’s a great meal prep recipe
- Only 4 ingredients
- Easily customizable for the entire family
Ingredients and substitutions
- Sweet potato
- Avocado oil spray – you may use regular avocado oil or olive oil
- Italian seasoning – you may use dried oregano, basil or garlic powder
- Pizza sauce – you may substitute with marinara sauce or pesto
- Shredded mozzarella – you can substitute with italian cheese blend, goat cheese, gruyere or use vegan or dairy-free cheese
- Red pepper
- Fresh basil
How to make sweet potato pizza
- Slice your sweet potato into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
- On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, set your sweet potato rounds about ½ inch apart so they’re not touching each other.
- Spinkle with italian seasoning on top of each round then spray avocado oil spray on top to coat completely. Set in oven to roast for 25 minutes.
- Once done, remove baking sheet from oven and flip the rounds. Then using a spoon, add the pizza sauce over the top of the rounds (about a tablespoon). Top with cheese, and other toppings you’d like to add, then place back in oven for 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
What to serve with sweet potato pizza
They are delicious by themselves but here are some ideas:
- Vegetable Chicken Nuggets
- Italian Turkey Meatballs – recipe in my ebook!
- Pork Meatballs – recipe in my ebook!
- Slow Cooker Pineapple Pork – recipe in my ebook!
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken – recipe in my ebook!
- Simple salad
How to store
You may store sweet potatoes with or without sauce but I think it is better to keep sauce off when meal prepping and just adding on when you are ready to eat. Store in an airtight glass container for up to 5 days in fridge or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is sweet potato pizza healthy? Yes! Sweet potatoes have a rich source of fiber, iron, vitamin B, and vitamin C. When purchasing pizza sauce, make sure to read the ingredient label to determine what is in your sauce. I choose brands with only whole ingredients.
- Can you make this for meal prep? 100 percent! It’s a great meal prep recipe that stores and reheats well. Don’t add pizza sauce, cheese or any of the toppings and just store the roasted sweet potato rounds in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. When ready to eat, pop them in the oven on high broil with your toppings for 1 to 2 minutes. You can also reheat in the toaster oven or air fryer.
- Can I freeze the sweet potato pizza? Yes! You may freeze the sweet potato in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in fridge overnight then reheat using same instructions as above.
- Can I make this recipe in the air fryer? Yes! Air fry at 365 degrees for 15 minutes then top with sauce, cheese and any other toppings then place back in air fryer for another minute.
If you love this recipe, you should try:
- Potato Cakes
- Apple and Sweet Potato Hash
- Avocado Chicken Rollies
- Banana Spinach Muffins
- Sweet Potato and Spinach Bites – recipe in my ebook!
- Zucchini Pizza – recipe in my ebook!
Sweet Potato Pizza
- 2 banana preferably ripe
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- avocado oil spray
- In a medium-sized bowl, add almond flour, tapioca flour and baking soda then whisk together. Afterwards, add the milk and egg and mix until pancake batter is formed.
- Slice the bananas into ½ inch thick slices. One by one, dip the banana slices in the batter until it is completely covered. Make sure not to over crowd.
- On a large pan over medium heat, spray avocado oil spray to then use a fork to place onto the pan. Repeat until you’ve filled the pan, making sure they are evenly spaced about an inch, and each mini pancake is not touching. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until golden then flip.